Re: [patch] possible SMTP example

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 00:30:52 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Brad Hards wrote:

> Port 465 is what libcurl implements as smtps://. I agree that it isn't
> standardised, but saying "no such thing" is equivalent to arguing that there
> is no such thing as SSLv3.

Yes, I added support for that old legacy style mostly because we already do
support ftps:// that way and it was very easy to do. I don't know if anyone
these days actually use that concept.

>> but the standard way to do it is to connect in the clear, issue the
>> STARTTLS command, and then upgrade to TLS.
>
>> Giving an example of how you do *that* would be a more useful thing to
>> do in a comment. Bonus points for mentioning that you would hopefully
>> expect this to be connecting to port 587 rather than port 25 (RFC4409).

> I'll take a look. I think this could be better placed in a separate example
> though.

Making two examples certainly isn't a bad idea, but perhaps this little tiny
option doesn't warrant a separate one? You make libcurl use STARTTLS by
setting the CURLOPT_USE_SSL option accordingly.