Re: Libcurl 7.21.1 : EPSV message under Leopard and Snow Leopard

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:32:07 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Thomas Chavanis wrote:

> I use libcurl 7.21.1 in my FTPClient software and when I use this client
> under Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) with severals server I get the following debug
> message and the connection failed:
>
> "got positive EPSV response, but can't connect. Disabling EPSV".

Can you show us a full VERBOSE enabled trace of the connection? It is supposed
to move on and try a "regular" PASV after the above failure.

> But when I use the same client under Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), I didn't
> get the previous message but curl_easy_perform never stop (like a freeze)
> and so the connection to the server failed.

... and a VERBOSE trace for this would also be useful for anlysis purposes.

> I understand that EPSV command is not always supported by server so I
> deactivate it by setting CURLOPT_FTP_USE_EPSV to zero
> (http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-tutorial.html : FTP Peculiarities We
> Need).

Right, and ESPV is not only a problem to old servers but also often not
understood by firewalls and what not that sit between you and the FTP server.

> But the thing I don't understand is why a client under 10.5 and 10.6 have
> different behavior?

That's not libcurl's fault, that's something you should ask Apple about.

> Do you have some differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard in libcurl?

Not that I know of. We have no code that explicitly checks for 10.5 vs 10.6
but I don't know if configure detects something differently between those two
versions. I personally never use Macs.

> Do you have some know bugs under Snow Leopard which didn't exist under
> Leopard?

Nope.