Libcurl 7.21.1 : EPSV message under Leopard and Snow Leopard

From: Thomas Chavanis <thomas.chavanis_at_alwancolor.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:23:02 +0100

Hi everyone,

I use libcurl 7.21.1 in my FTPClient software and when I use this client under Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) with severals server I get the following debug message and the connection failed:

"got positive EPSV response, but can't connect. Disabling EPSV".

But when I use the same client under Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), I didn't get the previous message but curl_easy_perform never stop (like a freeze) and so the connection to the server failed. I think for the same reason because it is the second connection to the server, the connection which use EPSV command.

I understand that EPSV command is not always supported by server so I deactivate it by setting CURLOPT_FTP_USE_EPSV to zero (http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-tutorial.html : FTP Peculiarities We Need).

But the thing I don't understand is why a client under 10.5 and 10.6 have different behavior?
Do you have some differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard in libcurl?
Do you have some know bugs under Snow Leopard which didn't exist under Leopard?

Thank you for reading and for your help,

Thomas Chavanis
Software Developer
email: thomas.chavanis_at_alwancolor.com