RE: SMTP authentication fails

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:57:36 +0100

Amr Oreaba wrote:
> > AUTH CRAM-MD5
> < 334 PDMxMTU0LjEyOTA1MjA3ODdAYmxhaD4=

YW1yLm9yZWFiYUBtb2thbG1hdC5jb20gYTUxMGE3YjUyMDRkNTNiMmMzZjFiNTQxOTg0OG
> > M2ZDc=
> < 535 authorization failed (#5.7.0)

*** BE CAREFUL: you sent base64 data: you have published your SMTP login
name to the world. Happily, cram-md5 authentication does not send the
password, so there is no need you change it. If it add been a plain
authentication, your password add been published too !!!

> * Authentication failed: 535

1) Are you sure your user/password are OK ?
2) To support CRAM-MD5, the server MUST know the clear text password.
I've seen some servers advertising the CRAM-MD5 authentication scheme
while not being able to handle it properly. Are you sure you're not in
this case ? Try CRAM-MD5 on the same server with another mail client to
check it. If it also fails, it's a server problem.
3) Do you succeed using the easy interface ?

> > EHLO HOMEPC
> < 250-mx.google.com at your service, [41.206.155.199] < 250-SIZE
35651584 < 250-8BITMIME < 250-STARTTLS < 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> > STARTTLS
> < 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> > QUIT

I can imagine your curl library has not been compiled with the SSL
support... Check output of "curl --version" with a command line tool
using the same library.