Re: SMTP authentication fails

From: Amr Oreaba <oreaba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:52:07 +0200

*** BE CAREFUL: you sent base64 data: you have published your SMTP login
name to the world. Happily, cram-md5 authentication does not send the
password, so there is no need you change it. If it add been a plain
authentication, your password add been published too !!!

## Thanks for info

> * Authentication failed: 535

1) Are you sure your user/password are OK ?

## yes I am sure

2) To support CRAM-MD5, the server MUST know the clear text password.
I've seen some servers advertising the CRAM-MD5 authentication scheme
while not being able to handle it properly. Are you sure you're not in
this case ? Try CRAM-MD5 on the same server with another mail client to
check it. If it also fails, it's a server problem.

## Yes you are correct, is there a way to force certain authentication
in the libcurl?
why did it choose this authentication?I looked in the options of the
libcurl but could not found such a parameter that I can adjust.

3) Do you succeed using the easy interface ?

## no same problem.

> > EHLO HOMEPC
> < 250-mx.google.com at your service, [41.206.155.199] < 250-SIZE
35651584 < 250-8BITMIME < 250-STARTTLS < 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> > STARTTLS
> < 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> > QUIT

I can imagine your curl library has not been compiled with the SSL
support... Check output of "curl --version" with a command line tool
using the same library.

## I am using the Visual C++ 2008 express and I compiled the library
from the .dsw file provided, how I can compile in visual C++ with SSL
support.

## I tried another trial with a Yahoo mail account and it used PLAIN
authentication and the the problem in the below URL exactly happened
to me!!!
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2010-10/0112.html

##same error on verbose
451 Invalid Smtp line - Should end with CRLF