Re: Patch: OpenSSL Server Name Indication value should match custom Host header

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:58:29 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> curl https://207.97.227.239/ -H "Host: github.com"

Suddenly I realize what Peter is talking about and why this may be
problematic.

We then need to make sure this connection internally is considered as a HTTPS
connection to github.com so that it only gets re-used for that, and not for
any other random host name that happens to be on the same IP. But that's a
bit "weird" for a HTTP header to dictate those rules over the connection and
SSL, especially if you for example do subsequent requests on the same handle
but change Host: again... :-/

This smells like a potential can of worms.

Perhaps we need to do this case with a new host name option for the SNI and
server cert name check.