Re: Patch: OpenSSL Server Name Indication value should match custom Host header

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:47:05 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Peter Sylvester wrote:

> Names may contain the wildcard
> character * which is considered to match any single domain name
> component or component fragment. E.g., *.a.com matches foo.a.com but
> not bar.foo.a.com. f*.com matches foo.com but not bar.com.

The point he tried to get through was that the wildcard match works fine when
you do:

         curl https://github.com/

but not when you do:

         curl https://207.97.227.239/ -H "Host: github.com"

I am of the opinion that the latter approach should work, as it is a VERY
convenient way to test local installations, load ballancers, "escape" DNS
round robins and more.

My commits yesterday meant to fix this, but they were a bit too simple (didn't
work) and I'll go ahead and make some updates to it today.