Re: libcurl + libevent2: Stalling if no data is received/written [new timeout patch]

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:26:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Dirk Manske wrote:

> have you read the report I've written two weeks ago?

I did a little, but I didn't quite understand what the problem really was. I'm
pretty much up to my ears in various curl issues right now (well, combined
with work and other things I try to fill my life with) so please bare with me
as some of them will fall through or just get long round-trip times until I
can get back to them.

> But I've found a new detail, hiperfifo and connecting to nc -l -p 9999:

> As already written the error message is missing, but I guess
> more worse is what curl tells us:
> * Connection #0 to host 127.0.0.1 left intact
>
> I think curl should close that connection.
> Or would that be a problem if pipeling is used?

If the app is done right, then yes it should. I mean, the "left intact" isn't
a problem but it should say that it gets closed after that line.

> And the second problem..

>> Alright, connection refused, but where is the DONE message from
>> hiperfifo...
>
> I must correct me, that is not a new side effect. That bug happens with
> 7.21.1 too.

That done output is made by hiperfifo itself isn't it? I didn't quite see how
that was clearly a bug in libcurl.

> Here a new test run, with a different 2nd test:
>
> When a connection fails very early then the socket callback is not called.

But that's not really a problem, right?

> I would try to fix both problems, but until Monday I'm busy with something
> totally different.

Let me say it like this: I know like 7 bugs or so to work on right now, and
for 6 of them nobody else then me have spoken or seemed to work on them, so
it's quite appealing to me to leave this one for you and focus on some of the
others.

I really really appreciate your help on this. Thanks a lot.