Re: Possible harm caused by using cURL on other people's websites.

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:23:47 -0700

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 03:56:38PM -0500, Gloves 12 wrote:
> Thank you for the reply! Yes, I totally agree, I am legally liable
> for anything I do with cURL.
>
> Sorry if I was too long-winded. More concisely: when a developer
> uses cURL, what sort of things does he or she look out for to make
> sure their call is safe for the website they are visiting? I'm
> looking for anyone who uses cURL in the same way - to visit other
> people's websites - who can give me a little perspective of the norms
> in this area. Is this something I should be concerned about?

There are several guides on the net to best practices when writing web
spiders, such as this one:
http://spideringhacks.org.ua/0596005776_spiderhks-chp-1-sect-3.html
Also, don't neglect the issue of making things safe for your spider.
The libcurl-tutorial man page has a Security Considerations section that
goes into some detail on that end of things.

>>> Dan