Re: Trying not to wait for reply

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:52:47 +0200

On 17 August 2010 12:08, Jess Hmby <tyo7_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>> From: esiotrot_at_gmail.com
>> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:01:54 +0200
>> Subject: Re: Trying not to wait for reply
>> To: curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se
>>
>> On 17 August 2010 08:18, Jess Hmby <tyo7_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Daniel, I couldn't do that because I am never going to receive a
>> > response
>> > (in the client) coming from that connection. I partially solved the
>> > problem
>> > setting a timeout (CURLOPT_TIMEOUT) but it is not a nice way in mi
>> > opinion
>> > because it's time that I loose there and I dont think it is safe.
>>
>> It doesn't sound like your server is an HTTP server. It might be
>> similar, but if it is not HTTP, then libcurl might not be the best way
>> to talk to it, since libcurl talks HTTP (or FTP, etc., etc.)
>>
>> What protocol does your server actually speak?
>>
>> Also, please don't top post.
>
> Yes, it is HTTP what my server speaks, though I'd rather say "system"
> instead of server as it is a client-server-client structure. As I said is

Are you sure it is HTTP?

With HTTP, your client says something like:

GET /some/thing HTTP/1.0
Host: your.server.name
Some-Header: some value

and your server responds with:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Something: blah
[...]

But it sounds like you are saying that your server does not reply to
the client at all, (i.e. nothing like "HTTP/1.1 200 OK...") but rather
connects to a third machine and does something which has nothing to do
with the connection between the first client and the server. If I
understand you correctly, it is not HTTP.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>