Problem with curl, c-ares, IPv6 and non-fully qualified domain names

From: Martin Lemke <terradepaz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:18:23 +0300

I discovered a thread with Daniel Johnson's excellent analysis of a
problem in curl with IPv6 and c-ares here -
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2008-10/0123.html

The thread is 2 years old, however the thing is that I still
experience a problem which is closely related to the issue described
there. Specifically, I have a problem with non-fully qualified domain
names, for some reason the fallback from IPv6 to IPv4 doesn't happen
when they are resolved. However when the same domain name is fully
qualified the fallback to IPv4 does happen.

Was there a patch to the original problem, was it accepted in the end?

Martin