RE: Porting libcurl to a small, embedded system?

From: Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:15:58 +0000

> I work with small, microcontroller-based embedded systems (eg, ARM
> Cortex-M3).
>
> I'm wondering if it might be practical to port libcurl to such a
> system?
> Possibly with no OS ("bare metal"); probably using a 3rd-party TCP/IP
> stack.

You did not mention the 3rd-party TCP/IP stack you were considering. It would be useful to know if there are any existing ports of libcurl to this stack.

A few years ago I ported libcurl to an ARM7 core running a proprietary RTOS and the LwIP open source TCP/IP stack. There were plenty of issues, all of them involving the stack. Among other issues, connections couldn't be reused and there was lots of flakiness with HTTPS transactions. Basically, libcurl stressed the stack into revealing hidden flaws.

Your mileage may vary, but be forewarned that the libcurl porting effort may take longer than you think, and may require a good level of support from the supplier of the stack.

Cheers,
GaryM @ casabi