Re: Support of the Web Socket protocol - API

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 23:04:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Alexandre Morgaut wrote:

> Here some suggestions (I don't care the letter to use for the options)

> curl -o log.txt ws://example.com/console

I suppose we could treat it a bit like as if it is HTTP or something, so we
can send custom data (and we do it with the proper WS framing etc) similar to
how we can POST with HTTP and we just listen and read whatever the peer sends.

It would however be much better if we actually had some proper existing live
use-case where doing this would make sense...

> I'd like to be able to specify a folder in which each received frame would
> be stored as an independent files:
>
> curl -o picts/ -f pict -x jpg ws://example.com/camera

Now this example feels a bit unlikely.

If libcurl just receives the stream the server sends, it will not know how to
split it up on picture boundaries. It'd take a special tool to know that
ws://example.com/camera sends this kind of data and then act on it
accordingly. libcurl would just pass the raw stream to the app.