Re: Autobuilds: Duplicate entries?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:53:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Guenter wrote:

> I think now its time for lession 5 of the book 'GIT for idiot apprentice'
> where one explains to me how to correctly proceed with such a patch?

Here's what I do:

If the patch is a common patch, you either use 'git apply' or just 'patch'
like normally, edit whatever you think needs adjustment and when you commit
it, you use 'git commit --author="name <email>"'.

If the patch is a git patch (made with git format-patch), you can instead do
'git am [patch]' and git will apply it and commit it in a single step (and
keep the author data from the patch file). If you then think that the
description was wrong, or the changes need some adjustments, you proceed and
fix up the flaws and then you 'git commit --amend' which makes your edits get
merged into the previous commit so that it still gets recorded as the same
single one.