Re: Hosting in various countries

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie_at_shareable.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:04:13 +0000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Possibly there are even Americans who consider a US hosting preferable
> since then they don't "import" the code when they checkout the code.

Historically the problem with the USA is when they "export" code.

They don't seem to have any problem "importing" code that I've heard of.

That's why so many sensitive crypto projects are hosted in the EU or
elsewhere.

I'm not sure if libcurl would come under the USA's crypto export
regulations, by virtue of being able to link with and use SSL/TLS
libraries.

I understand those regulations have been greatly relaxed in recent
years, i.e. it's permitted, but I don't think they have gone away
completely, i.e. you might have to register or something.

-- Jamie