RE: libcurl speed-limit problem

From: Nick Stone <nick.stone_at_snowvalley.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:07:58 -0000

>> I'll see if I can persuade Debian to install a newer lib without
changing version. If that all works
>> I'll report back.
>
> I upgraded to the testing version of the library on Debian which is
version 7.19 and still had no joy
> with this and then finally I upgraded to the unstable version of the
library which is 7.20 and it
> now works fine. I'm not really sure what the problem was but it looks
like the earlier Debian libs
> don't support the speed limiting functionality.

Just a further update on this - I discovered after a considerable amount
of playing that the reason why this was not working was due to using the
multi-perform call and setting the select timeout to be very large (i.e.
60 seconds). It appears that when using the multi-perform call the
select timeout is used when determining the throttle factor and hence
setting the timeout too long causes the speed limiter to fail (or rather
not to limit in effect)...

Now it may be that I've just found a solution to a different problem and
if so please could somebody let me know but just in case this is right I
hope this will help other people with the same issues.

Nick