Re: Building 64 bit curl on AIX with xlc

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 03:06:23 +0200

2009/9/28, Michael Leong wrote:

> I'm trying to build libcurl on AIX 5.3 using the xlc compiler.
> [...]
> I use this configure line: ./configure CC="xlc" CFLAGS="-q64"--without-zlib
> --with-ssl=/home/voltage/michael/toolkit37-64b/support-libs/ --disable-ldap
> [...]

CFLAGS="-q64" _only_ tells xlc compiler to use 64bit mode, rest of
utility commands that deal with object files (ar, nm strip, etc) will
still use the default 32bit format.

The proper way to make sure that all xlc related utility commands use
the 64bit format is to set environment variable OBJECT_MODE=64 before
running configure and make.

> [...]
> libtool: link: /usr/bin/nm -B -BCpg .libs/file.o .libs/timeval.o [...]
> 0654-210 .libs/file.o is not valid in the current object file mode.
> Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
> [...]

In this case, the above is telling you that /usr/bin/nm is using the
32bit default format while objects have actually been compiled in
64bit format.

--
-=[Yang]=-