Re: Libcurl Dying at Perform()

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:40:28 +0200

On Friday 14 of August 2009 14:57:41 Brandon Tate wrote:
> Sorry, about the top posting. Can you tell me how I don't do that.
> I'm just replying to these emails. I'm not including the mailing list
> on this one to hopefully avoid that.

It's easy - do not write your reply before the quoted text... It doesn't
matter if the mailing list is in the CC or not :-)

> I've been playing with the library symlinks and getting varying
> compatibility warnings. The server hasn't been messed with in a while
> and the libraries are all out of wack. Where can I find a good set up
> libraries for red hat that will cover everything?

That's usually the setup maintained by the distribution (either RHEL or
Fedora) itself. If you tweak versions of installed packages manually there
is not much we can do with it.

> I've tried downgrading based on the warnings and this is the situation
> I've come across most recently. With libcurl.so.4:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libssl.so.2, needed by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4,
> may conflict with libssl.so.4
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.2, needed by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4,
> may conflict with libcrypto.so.4
>
> However, if I downgrade libcrypto.so.4 to libcrypto.2 I get this
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libssl.so.4, needed by /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-
> redhat-linux/3.2.2/../../../libcurlpp.so, may conflict with libssl.so.
> 2
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.4, needed by /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-
> redhat-linux/3.2.2/../../../libcurlpp.so, may conflict with
> libcrypto.so.2

Just try:
$ ldd YOUR_BINARY
$ LD_PRELOAD=... ldd YOUR_BINARY

... and see what happens. You need to figure out which libraries are being
used in run-time. It might by also helpful to check which RPM package the
libraries belong to (if any). You can use 'rpm -qf' for this purpose.

Kamil