Deleting a file after FTP download

From: Mueller, Alexander <am_at_a-m-i.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:30:59 +0200

I use libcurl to download + delete files from a web server, and have a problem with the decision, what to use for the deleting of the server file after download.

I have servers where I use the "RM <file>" command in combination with curl_easy_setopt(), and it works. This was given as an example somewhere on the curl-lib website.

Now I have a server where I tested RM in all kinds of combination, it does not work. Out of despair I tested many things, and found out thet "DELE <file>" does it. But why ? How can I find out by asking the server ?

Using "RM" gives me CURLE_QUOTE_ERROR, is this the official way to find out ?

A big problem is that this "RM" is not documented in the RFC 959 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc959). But DELE is ....what is "RM" ? Where can I read more about this command ?

Alex