Re: libcurl openssl thread crash - Windows XP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:10:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Matt Veenstra wrote:

> Removing the seed call (which I assume is used for the salt) solves the
> crash. Should the seed be set in curl_global_init()?

I find no OpenSSL docs that claim those random functions aren't thread-safe so
it seems thet should be possible to use like this. Although I think that if
the problem persists it might be a good idea to take it up with the OpenSSL
devs as welll to see if they have anything wise to add to this.

The seed cannot easily be set in curl_global_init() mostly due to how our API
is: it features several options that influence the seeding and they are set on
a per-easy handle basis.

I would also suggest that you try with a very recent libcurl as well to see if
that too repeats the problem just to make sure you're not hunting ghosts!