Re: Potential ABI break for libcurl Sun Compiler users

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 23:56:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> You are assuming that systems running the Sun Compiler will only deliver one
> set of libraries: either 32-bit or 64-bit.

No I don't but but curl's configure output is only made for one of the sets.

This can indeed use some polish to get improved for environments such as ones
you describe.

> However, we can only deliver one set of header files, and the same set of
> header files must work across all ISA's and bitness sizes.

Right, but they can #ifdef on the bits used for a particular compile so while
curl doesn't provide any automatic means for it at this point, you can make a
custom curl.h include file that makes the equivalent of:

   #ifdef BUILT_64BIT
   #include "curl-64.h"
   #else
   #include "curl-32.h"
   #endif

I know other systems use this approach. I've not yet figured out how we should
adapt to make our generated headers to better work in this scenario.