Re: Potential ABI break for libcurl Sun Compiler users

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:17:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Stefan Teleman wrote:

> So how often do you guys break ABI ? Inquiring minds want to know.

This is documented, and we often discuss these matters here. You're even
talking about changes we did in 7.19.0 and we had a lot of discussions and
made a lot of precautions before those changes went in. It's a little late to
get wound up now about changes that were introduced in the public release in
September '08.

Everyone could have spoken up and contributed their better fixes before we
proceeded with this.

You're still free to speak up and tell us how you'd suggest a fine solution
would work. Just throwing out lame accusations isn't helping anyone.

> It sounds like you don't care at all that 7.19.x breaks ABI with earlier
> releases.

What exactly in our responses have said we "don't care at all"? On the
contrary we have explained to you what the problems were that we have tried to
solve and why. We have also already notified users about the POSSIBLE ABI
break in 7.19.0.

Everyone who has followed this project knows that we work hard on not breaking
the ABI.

> Your patch is still fundamentally wrong, but I'm not going to waste any more
> time on this.

Thanks for your helpful attitude. That's the spirit that makes us improve!