Re: Build using CMake

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:43:55 +0200

2009/3/29, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:

> I'd love to hear Yang Tse opinion on this. He's working on a new nmake
> makefile for the project and should join this discussion. By the way;
> how is this work going, Yang?

Some general comments...

I'm another one of the many who on this list have openly admitted not
having used CMake at all. I might be wrong but I think that the actual
work-force who have admitted knowing or having used CMake on this list
is just a couple of persons, and none of them seem to have been around
here for much time, if these are going to hang around long enough or
not is something that time will tell. And there has already been at
least one report of someone which having used it has been badly
bitten.

Something not technical that truly bothers me, I'm getting old and
grumpy, is how hard CMake is been pushed all over the net on all
relevant open source projects by the CMake advocates.

For example, at some point in this thread it has been suggested that
cmake should replace all already existing build systems for curl and
libcurl, when the only cmake contribution so far seems to not be able
to complete the task even for a single platform.

We the not-yet-cmake-believers, or at least me, might be short-seeing
but wouldn't mind to be shown the powers of the new-religion, oops
build-system, so good as to justify proposing elimination of other
build systems on this project.

The day there is enough cmake infrastructure for curl/libcurl capable
of building what is already possible to get built for a specific
platform will be the day i'll express my opinion on the matter of
removing the other build system support for that specific platform.
Meanwhile my personal view is to certainly not remove it.

On the other hand my motivation to improve MSVC makefiles right now is
close to zero. I'm awaiting how all this cmake-evangelism turns out,
letting the dust settle down and postponing further decisions. Who
wants to work for nothing on something that is going to be discarded?

My 2 cents

--
-=[Yang]=-