Re: Build using CMake

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:04:38 +0100

Hi,
Piotr Dobrogost schrieb:
> Guenter wrote:
>
>> If we now go anyway with another external tool I think it might also be
>> worth to think a minute about using gnu-make for all non-configure
>> platforms (the configure-aware platforms use it anyway already)....
>> at least for Win32 which is the platform that rised the issue we could
>> then catch up all wishes we would like to see...
>
> Very good point.
>
> I was wondering weather it's possible to use gnu-make instead of nmake
> as soon as Yang Tse has written this
> "MS's nmake string handling capabilities are nonexistent. You can
> 'concatenate' variable contents, but breaking them down and iterating
> over its 'words' is another world."
I was also already on the MSVC makefiles, and desperately tried to come
up with something better while using our include makefiles, but nmake is
really limited...

> By the way; is/was there any effort to make auto* tools work under Windows?
yes, the project is a subproject of the MingW32 compiler called MSYS; it
has all configure magic + bash running on native Win32; Cygwin is
another alternative, but far bigger than MSYS.

> As a side note; trying to use only standard tools (nmake) is only good
> to some extend. Sometimes it's just better for everyone (both users and
> developers) to use better tool than to avoid it at a high cost.
yes, and when we anyway say that downloading an external tool is
acceptable then gnu-make is also a candidate; I see here the benefit
that almost all developers here are familar with gnu-make, while many of
us would have to learn about CMake; this would be a plus regarding
maintanance. I've seen in the past other projects too which go that way
and use gnu-make for all compilers including MSVC and Watcom.

Nevertheless I think the CMake approach should be considered too, and we
should proceed with adding this ...

Gün.