Re: SFTP speed degradation

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:28:30 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Borey wrote:

> Our product is almost finished, but we faced with the issue (Very slow SFTP
> download).
>
> After some investigation I have found, that this is because of libSSH2
> library. I have contacted with libSSH2 team regarding this issue, but they
> said that they are not going to fix it

Sorry, but that's not what "the libSSH2 team" said, and yes you might
recognize my name from that bug report as I am a part of that team too.

Both libcurl and libssh2 are open source projects without any particular
company backing. We're primarily driven by individuals doing improvements and
bug fixes where we find them (and when we have the time and energy to work on
them), or where they annoy the companies we work for so they can let someone
spend paid work hours on issues.

libssh2 download performance and SFTP in particular is a known flaw. It's been
like that since the first day I joined that project and it still has that
problem. In the mean time we've improved the API, the base functionality, made
it a lot more stable and functional. Things that in my mind needs to be in
place first to even make the lib usable.

libssh2 has matured to a point where it is now quite reliable. It still
suffers from bad transfer performance but up to this point there have been
very few people who have actually tried to work on this.

So if you want this problem fixed, you dive in and participate and help the
libssh2 project to fix it. It is not really a libcurl problem as far as I am
aware.