Re: Re: CrossCompiling libcurl for ARM/snapgear/Intel IXDP425

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:49:05 +0200

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Michael Graf
<calgarycomputertech_at_gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I tried commenting out the exports ( AR,AS,LD, CC etc) and I was able
> to get it to compile and install, however it seems to me that
> compiling without using the compilers for the platform I want to end
> up on means that we'll end up with libcurl libraries for my PC not for
> the RFID reader.

If you leave in the "--host=arm-unknown-linux" then configure should
pick up the right compiler, linker, ar, strip, etc., etc. without you
having to specify them all individually. That's the point I was
trying to make.

If you commented out all the AR, AS, LD, CC, etc. variables and also
got rid of --host= then of course you would have ended up with
binaries for your build platform.

> Here is somemore info that may help get us to a solution:
> when I compile a program using libcurl, I get the following error
> many times :
>  "  File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
> /usr/lib/libcurl.a(parsedate.o)
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/3.2.1/../../../../arm-linux/bin/ld:
> /usr/lib/libcurl.a(tftp.o): compiled for a little endian system and
> target is big endian "
[...]

OK, so you probably need to tell the toolchain to generate big-endian
binaries. By the way, based on the above it seems that you are
compiling for arm, so you must have specified --host=... unless this
was a different compile attempt.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>