Re: naming convention of targets for Windows platform - why not use VC style?

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:18:13 +0100

hi,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com> wrote:
> Pierre Joye wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> FYI, any decent VC version supports only one mode: threaded. This mess
>> is a 12 year old pain (vc6) :)
>
> Either you're misunderstanding something or I am. According to my
> understanding, there used to be 3 modes (MD, MT, and ML) multiplied by
> release/debug. Single-threaded (ML) mode is now obsolete but that still
> leaves MD and MT multiplied by r and d, no?

Right, it was only a note about ML

However I would rather not provide by default MT builds, as it was
somehow necessary wiht VC6, it may be easier to keep only MD for
VC8/9. But is is easy to add an option for it.

About the configuration names, something easier to manage or use could
be to specify which mode to use for a given dependency (for
example,cfg=dll-debug zlib=static ssl=dll idn=dll etc.).

We also use a very handy naming convention in php for the libraries,
for example:

DLL: libcurl.dll (and libcurl.lib)
DLL Debug libcurl_debug.dll (and libcurl_debug.lib)
static: libcurl_a.lib
static debug: libcurl_a_debug.lib

The right library is then used depending of the active configuration
(and if it is present).

Cheers,

--
Pierre