Re: Need more information on handling ares with libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:23:11 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, vishnu sankar wrote:

> My development and testing environament are linux.I configured my dns
> resolver to a network which is not reachable.configured CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL and
> CURLOPT_TIMEOUT (2 secs ) options for easy handle.My multiperform&nbsp;
> returned asynchronously. I got the file descriptors as my active running
> handles is 1 and registered them for data.At this time i am not recieving
> any data for my registered file descriptors nor a time out response is
> initiated from libcurl

With no signals and without c-ares, libcurl can't abort the resolve at the
desired time-out so you need to wait until the regular name resolve function
call returns.

> .I dont expect any data because the resolver is not reachable and cant
> resolve my domain name . But&nbsp; i am expecting a time out response from
> libcurl which is not happening. Timeout is happening fine when i use libcurl
> without c-ares support

I've never seen anyone experience c-ares builds to not deal with timeouts
properly before. Are you using the latest libcurl and c-ares? If so, can you
provide us with the source for an app that repeats this problem?