Re: IPv6 getaddrinfo(3) failure

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:57:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> Some of the Linux autobuilds are experiencing strange test failures on test
> 1085: http://curl.haxx.se/auto/log.cgi?id=20081022170603-3130#prob2 The test
> precheck successfully resolves the IPv6 address ::1, but within curl itself
> it complains that "getaddrinfo(3) failed for ::1:8994". The IPv6 test
> servers are not able to be started on this host, either, which makes it look
> like an IPv6 problem on that host. It would be nice to rule out a curl
> problem of some sort, though.

Yeah, the ipv6 situation seem a bit... limited:

$ ping6 ::1
socket: Address family not supported by protocol

I guess this is because there's no ipv6 mod loaded for the kernel, so while
getaddrinfo() is there and working, there's no working ipv6...

There's also a ::1 entry in /etc/hosts.

So yes, curl will have a hard time using ipv6 here as well. I guess the
server/resolve program perhaps should also try to create an ipv6 socket to
verify that works as well.