Re: SSL and basic authentication.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:30:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Josef Wolf wrote:

> 2. The library part: This part should detect the 401, call a callback
> into the application to retrieve the credentials, and finally retry
> the request with the supplied credentials. The callback would have
> a signature like this:
>
> int curl_get_credentials (char *realm, char *url, int isproxy)

Why would a callback be needed for this? Why not simply return back to let the
application detect the situation, ask the user, set the credentials and call
libcurl again?

> BTW: I thought curl-library list was not only about internals of the
> library but also about how to use the library?

It certainly is for that as well. My refereal to curl-users was for potential
discussions about how curl the tool should or should not react on 401 (and 407
I would presume) responses.