Re: fatter without benefits (was Re: [Patch] Disable multi API support)

From: Daniel Egger <daniel_at_eggers-club.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:53:07 +0200

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:19:58 +0200 (CEST), Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
wrote:

> Your entire approach to this problem is also a proof of what I would
claim
> to be selfishness

Adapting the whole testsuite and putting some major work into the
infrastructure
is not something I would call selfishness. It did cost me quite some hours
and
to be frank, I personally couldn't care less about the testcases.

But of course any of the patches I provided so far had some special use for
me
or the company I work for.

The only features though we will ever use are:
- HTTP 1.0/1.1
- FTP
- FILE
synchronous downloads with range/continuation possibilities. I will
continue
to strive to get those features in the smallest possible package because
I'm
just not interested in the rest.

Unfortunately those features were already present since 7.17.3 so indeed
there
are no benefits in the library but lots of object size bloat. The only
thing
I get by upgrading are security fixes which are not really worth the major
increase in size.

If curl wants to suite as many needs as possible one of the main goals
should
be to keep it as small as possible and as modular as possible.

I for one could even imagine splitting the library in half for easy/multi
interface because the multi interface is far to generic/powerful to be of
any use for many users.

--
Servus,
       Daniel