Re: recompiling curl to NOT use system openssl

From: Peter Wilkes <pwilkes_at_gameservers.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:20:02 -0400

finally figured out what this was.... i was compiling openssl static.
and apparently the configure script has an issue compiling the test
program with the static openssl. i added shared to my openssl config
and works fine now.

the error was a link error trying to mutliple functions starting with
"dl" like dlopen.

i'd really like to use a static build if possible. is there a
workaround for this?

thank you

Pete

On Sep 5, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Peter Wilkes wrote:

> Dan,
>
> thank you so far for the assistance.
>
> ok i follow the documentation in docs/INSTALL for 7.19.0... since
> there is no pkg-config or pkgconfig in the openssl package i am not
> suppose to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH but instead use --with-ssl
> so i made the line
>
> ./configure --with-ssl=$PWD/../builds/
>
> in which case for whatever it is looking for to indicate that
> openssl is installed to that location fails.
>
> when i change it to
> ./configure --with-ssl=$PWD/../openssl-0.9.8g/
>
> it does find openssl however when i get to the link line it comes up
> -L$PWD/../openssl-0.9.8g/libs
> which there is none. all the libs got installed to $PWD/../builds/libs
>
> can i ask what file specifically it is queueing off of to detect
> openssl is installed so i can modify my script to put the file in
> the right place so i can link against the version i want to link
> against?
>
> many thanks.
>
> Pete
>

> On Sep 5, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Dan Fandrich wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:43:12PM -0400, Peter Wilkes wrote:
>>> tried this. configure says it cant find openssl. however if i
>>> make it
>>> $PWD/../openssl-0.9.8g/ it works but still links against the
>>> system libs.
>>
>> Take a look at the config.log file at this section and see if
>> there are
>> any clues as to why. Also, look at the link command line and see
>> what
>> flags are being added and see why the right ones are not; compare
>> with
>> the output of 'env PKG_CONFIG_PATH=<whatever_works> pkg-config
>> openssl --libs'

>> --
>> http://www.MoveAnnouncer.com The web change of
>> address service
>> Let webmasters know that your web site has moved

Peter Wilkes
973-849-0500 x525
pwilkes_at_gameservers.com