ECCN and curl/libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:49:37 +0100 (CET)

Hi friends,

I get occasional emails from US-based people and companies who ask me for an
ECCN number[*] for curl or libcurl.

I really have no idea what to reply to them - other than "I don't know", as I
have no such number and while I know lots of US companies use components from
this project I don't know if they ever picked a number or worked around the
issue or even what the importance of this number really is.

Did anyone of you face this issue with (lib)curl and if so, how did you sort
it out? Or even if you didn't, do you have any particular ideas and/or advice
I should respond to people asking about this?

[*] = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export_Control_Classification_Number