Re: [ANN] libproxy 0.2

From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:46:52 -0500

On Dec 21, 2007 8:15 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
>
> > You should be able to do this without performance penalty as long as
> > you keep the pxProxyFactory object around.
>
> ... which isn't possible within libcurl.

You can't perform more than one request with a single libcurl handle?
I would suspect pxProxyFactory lifetime would be the same as a libcurl
handle.

> > Within that object your performance hit is only on the first request (and
> > only when using WPAD or PAC).
>
> For PAC you need to check for every single new URL the app wants to use.
> Doesn't WPAD also allow different proxies for different URLs/protocols?

Yes, but this is all done client side after fetching the PAC, so there
is minimal performance hit.

> > Now, I'm just thinking out loud here, but doesn't checking envvar constitute
> > autodetecting a proxy? Aren't we just really adding more *methods* to
> > autodetect?
>
> Yes, you're right. But the environment variable check has been in the code for
> ages and people know and are aware of these and they made their current code
> with that knowledge and assumption (or disabled/overrided them). Changing the
> detection changes the applications in ways their authors might not like.

Which is why you go SLOWLY and make sure that any behavior changes are
clearly documented. You also provide the
"--go-back-to-the-old-behavior" compile option.

Nathaniel