Re: [ANN] libproxy 0.2

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:15:26 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

> You should be able to do this without performance penalty as long as
> you keep the pxProxyFactory object around.

... which isn't possible within libcurl.

> Within that object your performance hit is only on the first request (and
> only when using WPAD or PAC).

For PAC you need to check for every single new URL the app wants to use.
Doesn't WPAD also allow different proxies for different URLs/protocols?

> Now, I'm just thinking out loud here, but doesn't checking envvar constitute
> autodetecting a proxy? Aren't we just really adding more *methods* to
> autodetect?

Yes, you're right. But the environment variable check has been in the code for
ages and people know and are aware of these and they made their current code
with that knowledge and assumption (or disabled/overrided them). Changing the
detection changes the applications in ways their authors might not like.