Re: libcurl versus JAVA performance

From: Cory Nelson <phrosty_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:51:33 -0700

On 9/30/07, Serge Skorokhodov <ucayalyfish_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, Java seems to do pretty well with recursion, really. Still I you
> switch for more efficient iteration versions of algorithms, C/C++ is
> ~30% better than Java as expected. And -server does worse than
> -client. At least it seems to be so for fibonacci sample. Try
> something like this:

My general opinion on the subject:

Java/.NET provide good facilities for rapid development. In general
use, some of these might even be more performant than their standard
C++ counterparts. The difference is: with C++ you can really optimize
the hell out of something if you need to, while with Java it is out of
your hands. Just try implementing page-aligned I/O buffers or a
lock-free arena allocator in Java!

So even if Java's implementation is more efficient than libcurl right
now, we can always do better in the end.

--
Cory Nelson