Re: Curl, Openssl and Makefile.m32

From: Niall Twomey <twomers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:07:03 +0100

Hi again, Guenter,

>> bad hope - the msproject files are not in a better shape than the mingw32
makefiles.
You mistake me - [melodrama] I believe neither are in bad shape but
something's simply out to get me. I think I'll try to get it working with
MSVC for the moment (not out of frustration towards mingw32 but simply
because it's the IDE I use most often and it makes sense to build it for
that).

>> next snapshot should link (I've not tested! Please report back if not!!)
That's this link:
http://cool.haxx.se/curl-daily/curl-7.17.1-20070915.zip right?
I tried that (along with a few others), and got the same kinds of errors:

>> link.exe /incremental:no /libpath:"../lib" /nologo
/out:curl.exe/subsystem:console /machine:X86
libcurl.lib wsock32.lib winmm.lib hugehelpr.o
>> bj writeoutr.obj urlglobr.obj getpassr.obj homedirr.obj
curlutilr.obj strtoofftr.obj mainr.obj curlr.res
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_unbind_s referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_msgfree referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_next_entry referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_ber_free referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_next_attribute referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_memfree referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_value_free_len referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_get_values_len referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_first_attribute referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_get_dn referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_first_entry referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_search_s referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_simple_bind_s referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_init referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_set_option referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> libcurl.lib(ldap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
__imp__ldap_err2string referenced in function _Curl_ldap
>> curl.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 16 unresolved externals
>> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link.exe' : return code '0x460'
>> Stop.
>> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
.NET 2003\VC7\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
>> Stop.

That's still just for the "nmake vc" command line. No openssl or zlib there.

>> BTW. I think you shouldnt get frustrated
I dunno, gravy. 10 days is a long time for this not to be working (and about
a week before I posted too!). I won't stop 'till it works, but it is
frustrating, mainly because I don't understand why it doesn't work. It
should work, right? Straight off.

>> instead you should post your probs here exactly with your error messages
And I'll bump 'em till it works :)

>> If it helps you I can also put a libcurl devel package together which
saves you the trouble to build the lib self....
>> Let me know what kind of libcurl (features) you really need, and I can
provide that to you.
That would be very much appreciated!
Could I have it with MSVC (if you have it), ZLIB (1.2.3), and openssl (
0.9.8e)?

I just tried the mingw32 and that builds fully. How can I test it? I took a
look in the "tests" directory and read the readme but it seems un-windows
based.
Then I tried it with nmake and it still gives me the same linker errors as
above and before.

Would it be worth trying to build it with the MSVC IDE? I know it seems like
I'm trying anything and everything ... I am I guess ...

Yours frustratingly (not as per your replies, but in terms of it not working
for me),

Niall