Re: Curl, Openssl and Makefile.m32

From: Niall Twomey <twomers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 23:48:15 +0100

Hi again,

Well I checked and double checked the paths to my zlib directory and it is
correct (to verify I cd %ZLIB_PATH%'d and it brought me to the right place).
Here's a copy of its contents:

> @echo off
> set PATH=C:/MinGW/bin;%PATH%
> set OPENSSL_PATH=C:/projects/mingw32/openssl-0.9.8e
> set ZLIB_PATH=C:/projects/mingw32/zlib-1.2.3

which are all correct

>> but you should never change anything in the sources - that's certainly
wrong approach!
I know! I thought it was very odd too. However it did work, or at least it
supressed the error, least I was trying to fix it I guess. Seeing as I set
the path to the file would/could it have worked as it should? Hang on ...
It now works ... ARGH! I don't know what I changed.
The whole point of running the batch file was so that you wouldn't have to
change the data in the makefile, right? ... I copied the vars from my batch
into the makefile to set the directories and it worked. The paths are the
same ... this blows my head sometimes.

Now all the object files are created fine, but I'm still getting that-lz
error:

> C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe:
cannot find -lz
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> mingw32-make: *** [libcurl.dll] Error 1

again after this line:

> gcc -s -shared -Wl,--out-implib,libcurldll.a \
> -o libcurl.dll DOT_O_FILES libcurl.res-LC:/projects/mingw32/open
> ssl-0.9.8e/out -leay32 -lssl32 -LC:/projects/mingw32/zlib-1.2.3 -lz
-lwldap32 -lws2_32 -lwinmm

Now I don't know what's wrong cause the path to my zlib directory is fine! I
even used the build you suggested I use. Same result.

About the devcpp/msvc/mingw issue I used dev initially because there was
more documentation for it with libcurl but I had always intended on using
the libraries with msvc at the end ... guess it was pretty silly of me. It
doesn't really bother me which compiler I use so I'll use dev.

Is there anything which could affect the path to my zlib directory?
Could you explain to me what the '-lz' parameter actually does?

It shoudn't be this awkward, should it?