Re: Obsolete error codes / Debian soname

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:04:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Richard Atterer wrote:

> BTW, while you're at it: IMHO it would also be nice to assign the error
> numbers to certain ranges similar to the HTTP protocol's 4xx, 5xx etc.
> ranges. In fact, "file not found" could be mapped to code 404.

In HTTP and FTP they use error code ranges for when the errors have particular
meanings (like informative, temporary or permenent). I can't think of how to
split our error numbers in a similar way. Can you?

> That symlink solution was chosen at the time to resolve a huge "deadlock"
> of complex package interdependencies

Yes sure, but a soname bump of a library causing such a deadlock is a sympthom
of a general problem that was/is the actual problem. The symlinking of libcurl
is not a fix, it simply hides the underlying architecture problem and instead
pushes problems over to users of libcurl...

Of course, the ABI breakage 3 => 4 was not affecting very many people and I
guess those who are affected can work-around it and most possibly they don't
use the version shipped by debian.