Re: Porting to OS/400: 3rd patch release

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:36:47 -0700

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 05:04:26PM +0200, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
> This patch implements http(s), ftp(s), ldap, dict and telnet, both in ASCII and
> EBCDIC on OS/400. It includes support for the ILE/RPG language.
> Almost all OS/400 specific code and tools are located in the packages/OS400
> subdirectory. Updates to the regular tree files are only conditional
> inclusions.

Here are some things I spotted on a quick glance:

I'm not sure putting function prototypes and function definition macros
into config-os400.h is the right place. The config.h files tradionally
hold simple boolean #defines. Anything more elaborate should probably
go into setup.h (or setup-os400.h).

The buffer assumptions in makeOS400IconvCode() (and elsewhere) should be
documented (i.e. buf must be >= 32 bytes in that case) to reduce the chance
that someone will misuse them and cause a buffer overflow. Better would be
to pass the length into the functions as well.

It should be documented that the OS/400 support is not thread safe (static
buffers, et. al.). However os400sys.c uses POSIX threads calls?
What's the purpose?

The list of tests in make-tests.sh is already out of date and missing
tests. It looks like this is now the only case where the OS/400 build
system duplicates information from the normal curl build system, which is
good.

>>> Dan