Re: R: curl for pocket pc (Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Editi on for Pocket PC Phone Edition)

From: Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_loskot.net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 01:25:10 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> I'd also love to see official patches in the libcurl CVS, but I
>> feel it's not so straightforward as it may look like. In order to
>> build libcurl for Windows CE, there are needed some extra packages
>> bringing C/POSIX features missing on WinCE. There are a few
>> packages that can be used here. Some users use wcecompat, I use my
>> own WCELIBCEX (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcelibcex), other
>> use files from Python/Ruby sources etc.
>
> I'm prepared to assist this work from the libcurl end, and given the
> specifics on the Windows CE environment I think it is only fair to
> depend on a separate package such as this WCELIBCEX one. I find it
> better to rely on it as a separate package since:
>
> 1) other packages may also need/want it to build for Win CE and then
> it makes sense for them to use WCELIBCEX too

or wcecompat or any other intermediate compatibility layer.

> 2) work on WCELIBCEX is likely to happen indpendently of libcurl due
> to 1) and just because there might be specific
> bugs/work-arounds/features that are needed/wanted in there for win ce
> that aren't actual libcurl issues.

Yes.

> 3) duplicating code is always bad in the long term

Yes.

>> 1. Include all functions/definitions required for Windows CE to
>> libcurl sources.
>
> Just for the record and curiosity, how many functions and definitions
> would this be?

I skimmed the code and here is estimated list of features natively
missing on Windows CE:

errno.h
errno

stat
time
mktime
gmtime
getenv
strerror
gettimeofday
localtime

process.h

>> 2. Do not include any of missing C/POSIX features to libcurl, but
>> prepare a few HOWTOs with list of required features and explaining
>> how to build libcurl using: - wcecompat - WCELIBCEX - etc.
>>
>> The latter would be convenient for power users only I think.
>
> Well, I've learned that more or less only "power users" ever build
> libcurl on windows anyway and building libcurl for various kinds of
> embedded systems really requires people with clues in the first place
> so I don't think we need to be scared of providing a documented
> do-it-yourself procedure.
>
> As long as this procedure is not too many (complicated) steps of
> course.

OK, that works for me well.

>> There is also some variety with building systems. For older
>> versions of Windows CE 3.x/4.x for which eMbedded Visual C++
>> 3.0/4.0 compiler is used, there are configuration .BAT scripts and
>> makefiles available. For Windows CE 5.0 and Visual C++ 2005, these
>> .BAT scripts are missing and most of users rely on Visual C++
>> project files. All these issues make the overall task non-trivial.
>
> Let's start somewhere with the stuff you have got working and
> building, and then others should be able to give feedback and
> adjustments for other environments they use.

Agreed.

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot