Re: curl-config oddity

From: Michael Wallner <mike_at_iworks.at>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:56:54 +0200

Hi Dan, thanks for your answer!

Dan Fandrich wrote:
> Michael Wallner wrote:
>> I just recognized that my SSL library detection magic in configure
>> does not work anymore and now I wonder why curl-config (in CVS only?)
>> behaves as follows:
>
> Are you basing your opinion that the SSL library detection doesn't work
> on the output of curl-config or do you have other data?

Well, it's about my app's SSL library detection :) I need to know which
SSL library is used by libcurl to set the right crypto locking callbacks.
I used to test for the linker flags in my configure to determine the SSL
library used by libcurl.

>> As you can see, it lists SSL as feature but not the required linker flags...
>> Any idea where to start looking at?
>
> This is deliberate--your system is one that loads dependencies recursively
> from the libraries (e.g. ELF supports this), so there's no need to make a
> dependency on OpenSSL (for example) in the application if it's
> not explicitly calling OpenSSL functions (in the latter case, the app must
> manually add the proper -l option to the link command-line). Doing it this
> way allows an app to run with a libcurl that uses OpenSSL, GnuTLS, yassl, NSS
> or any other SSL library supported in the future without recompiling.

The distributions (Kubuntu) curl-config gives me the following:
mike_at_honeybadger:~/cvs/curl$ /usr/bin/curl-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -lcurl -L/usr/lib -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -lcom_err -lkrb5support -lresolv -lidn -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lssl -lcrypto -lz

mike_at_honeybadger:~/cvs/curl$ /usr/bin/curl-config --feature
SSL
IPv6
libz
IDN
NTLM

mike_at_honeybadger:~/cvs/curl$ /usr/bin/curl-config --version
libcurl 7.15.5

So I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or I'm just missing some
curl configure flags, or do you think this flags are added by the
distributions libcurl package maintainer?

Thanks,

--
Michael