Re: curl-config oddity

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:56:07 -0700

Michael Wallner wrote:
> I just recognized that my SSL library detection magic in configure
> does not work anymore and now I wonder why curl-config (in CVS only?)
> behaves as follows:

Are you basing your opinion that the SSL library detection doesn't work
on the output of curl-config or do you have other data?

> As you can see, it lists SSL as feature but not the required linker flags...
> Any idea where to start looking at?

This is deliberate--your system is one that loads dependencies recursively
from the libraries (e.g. ELF supports this), so there's no need to make a
dependency on OpenSSL (for example) in the application if it's
not explicitly calling OpenSSL functions (in the latter case, the app must
manually add the proper -l option to the link command-line). Doing it this
way allows an app to run with a libcurl that uses OpenSSL, GnuTLS, yassl, NSS
or any other SSL library supported in the future without recompiling.

>>> Dan