Re: ICAP support in Curl?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:36:20 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Gabriel Kälin wrote:

> I'm wondering whether there is any support for the ICAP protocol planned in
> libcurl. Have there been any efforts towards ICAP or would I be the first to
> tackle that protocol in curl?

There is none so far so yes, you are the first!

> I've searched the website including these mailing lists for any information,
> but couldn't find anything.

Nope, I can't recall anyone mentioning it before.

> Can anybody tell me straight away, how much effort it would take to
> implement basic ICAP support in libcurl? It's very similar to HTTP, so I
> guess one could relatively easily implement basic support, but I'm very
> unfamiliar with libcurl's code.

I had a very quick look at the RFC3507 and I would say it looks like it can be
quite easy to at least support the basics. But I didn't do any closer
research.

> Could connection handling reuse HTTP connection handling code?

Yes, the connection re-use is done the same way for all protocols, but may
require some protocol-specific tweaks if the requirements differ from HTTP.