ftp password and user-agent changes

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:24:20 +0100 (CET)

Hi

I want to do two changes in things libcurl has been doing for ages and I
wanted to hear if anyone has anything to say about them!

1 - I want to change the default anonymous password for FTP (mostly because
I'm fed up with people blaiming me for "hacks" and "attacks" done all over the
world, only because that email address in there). What is a "good" password to
use? I seem to recall that some servers check that the given password is/looks
like a valid password and thus must be a valid domain/host name...

2 - I want to set a default User-Agent string for libcurl's default HTTP
requests. Of course applications' own will still override this. The two
reasons for me wanting this, are:

  o many web sites returns a failure when they receive a request without
    User-Agent set and it isn't always clear to app authors that they need to
    add this header to libcurl requests
  o RFC2616 says "User agents SHOULD include this field"[*], which I believe is
    telling us we should have a default header to follow this advice somewhat
    better than currently.

[*] = http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.43