Re: Daily builds - CVS vs snapshot version

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:11:10 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Yang Tse wrote:

> The fact is that most daily builds are performed against CVS and some of
> them against the last available snapshot. I think all of them appear on the
> daily build table based on the time the testsuite is run.
>
> This can be a little confusing when trying to find out when a specific
> change has actually triggered a daily build change.
>
> Just not to impose anyone if they test with CVS or snapshot version and to
> avoid the above mentioned confusion. It would be very nice if the daily
> build table was sorted based on the timestamp of the codebase being tested.

I completely agree with that. I've even considered doing some kind of display
mode/page where we merge the cvs changelog and the autobuild tables so that we
can see exactly that the latest CVS changes are in between the separate
builds. But I've not felt that I've had enough time or been bored enough to
make it happen just yet.

> Post-commit hook which updates a file in CVS ? Time the testsuite is run for
> CVS, and time the snapshot was made for snapshots ?

For CVS-based tests and builds, it should be enough to display the GMT time of
the cvs update command. And we do that in the "date =" line, as that should be
the same second the cvs command is issued, unless the host is very slow.

For the snapshot it would be easy to just include the exact time somewhere and
not just the date, and then use that time instead of the "date =" time we
currently display even for snapshot builds.