Re: libcurl and Mac OS X

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:05:12 +0100

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Daniel Johnson wrote:

> OK, I've looked into this more closely. On 10.4.x, poll() is known
> not to work with devices. This is documented in the man page. I don't
> know enough to say if that's a problem for libcurl, but if libcurl
> DOESN'T call poll on devices then it should be safe to use.

At this moment, libcurl is only using poll() internally on sockets,
and as far as I know it makes no sense for the library to directly
expose this functionality to the outer world. In other words, if the
library interfaces are used unchanged as they are intended, there is
no way for a third party program to poll() on a device through
libcurl.

> I disabled the configure test "checking if we are Mac OS X (to
> disable poll)..." and built libcurl with poll enabled. All tests
> passed including 518 and 537.

Those results support, even further, the above reasoning.

Anyway, tests 518 and 537 have been modified to skip the actual test
phase on platforms which are using select() bounded by FD_SETSIZE. In
this way we won't run this tests since it is impossible for them to
succeed, and an indication of this condition will be shown.

> Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to test.

In order to be able to definitely use poll() instead of select() in
libcurl with MAC OS X we would need to know which is the lowest
version of the OS in which curl version 7.16.1 built with the change
you've mentioned above passes all tests.

I know that finding out that can mean a lot of trouble, even if in the
long run it is a benefit. ;-)

If you're able to setup additional MAC OS X autobuild systems, or
someones who can do it with different OS and compiler versions it
would be GREAT. I could patch CVS libcurl version, so that at least no
manual libcurl testing would be needed to find this out. Ancient MAC
OS versions also welcomed.

--
-=[Yang]=-