Re: CURL_CA_BUNDLE and my confusion - need some feedback

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:24:55 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Guenter Knauf wrote:

>> command line tool, it won't set it to libcurl and thus libcurl will use the
>> default path it was built with. In a typical *nix world, libcurl would be
>> built to point to the system's CA cert bundle as used by multiple
>> applications/libs.

> hmmm, but that's the point: the define I'm taking about _is_ the default
> path libcurl was build with;

That's not the kind of fixed default system path I'm thinking of.

> and as you pointed out in previous post it makes no sense to hardcode a path
> here on non-configure platforms since we dont know nor can figure out where
> the system's CA cert bundle is located

Exactly - why I suggest no default ca cert path.

> - thus we use the getenv() hack in order to give the user a chance to
> specify the default location with binary builds.

Exactly which binary builds are you using that would benefit from this? Again
you seem to be talking about hypothetical other apps that someone might use
that might benefit from this. I don't want features added to libcurl by us
guessing what others might want, I'd much rather see the persons who actually
want such a feature to ask for it first.

And getting input to a lib through evironment variables is less than ideal and
we should strive towards minimizing those, imho.