Re: [patch] preliminary high_speed_limit patch

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:36:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Peter Silva wrote:

Thanks for the man page patch!

>> CURLOPT_MAX_SEND_SPEED_LARGE and
>> CURLOPT_MAX_RECV_SPEED_LARGE
>
> I like the SPEED.. If there is only one entry point (and it uses
> curl_off_t), then LARGE probably is not needed, and option can be shortened.
>
> I guess _LARGE when you want to support curl_off_t as well as long. In a few
> years LARGE will just seem odd (everything will be 64 bit...) how about
> CURLOPT_MAX_SEND_SPEED ?

Yeah, I'm just a bit reluctant to cut off the _LARGE because:

  1 - all current options that accept curl_off_t use that suffix - although
      they of course do that as an addition to the older non-LARGE ones...

  2 - it is somewhat important that users are aware of that this takes a
      curl_off_t and not a long since it can cause some interesting
      side-effects when mixed up, and the naming of the option like this could
      perhaps help keep the user aware of this

But sure, no other options have their types as suffixes and simply require a
peek in the manual (or even the header file) to know what to pass to them.

Ok, hm, so I'll cut off the _LARGE from the names for the sake of shorter and
simpler names.

Commit coming up soon.