Re: cross-compiling the curl library for PPC?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:08:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i want the configure/build of curl to build against *that* cross-compiled
> openssl, which will also be the openssl it will be *running* against on the
> target board (but in a different location). to me, that means i have to
> build curl keeping in mind that there are *two* different locations i'm
> going to have to specify:

Based on the .so extensions in your mail I take it you'll use shared OpenSSL
libs.

Then it doesn't matter which lib you build against as then you'll get to use
the ones that are installed on the actual machine that you _run_ the program
on as the libs are loaded run-time.

The only thing that is important is that you build with a lib that has the
same ABI as the one you run with later.

> what is the incantation to configure/build curl so that it builds against
> the openssl in that build directory but will run properly on the target when
> those openssl libs are installed elsewhere?
>
> my first guess is:
>
> $ CC=ppc_8xx-gcc \
> LDFLAGS="-L/mybuilddir" \
> CPPFLAGS="-I/mybuilddir/include/openssl" \
> ./configure --with-ssl
>
> but my concern is that, since i just say "--with-ssl", it seems like that
> would just look for the first install of openssl it could find and might
> find the wrong one. i want it to find *specifically* and *only* the one in
> /mybuilddir.

The configure is written to accept --with-ssl=PATH and try that given path
first, so if you just point out the ssl path like that it should work fine.

You can always load config.log after configure has run to verify that all
details and paths in the OpenSSL check looks fine.